- Adventures in Violinland - Shirley Givens : About the wonderful violin method for young children (aged 4 and up). Great pedagogy, and kids love it, too.
- American String Teachers Association (ASTA) : Phone: 703-279-2113; to order publications: 1-800-828-0229
- BAVS (Beginning Adult Violin Study) Yahoo group : Lively discussion group of adult violin, fiddle, and viola students (not just beginners).
- Burt & Company Discount Music Supply : Mail-order sheet music.
- Capitol Music Center (Seattle) : Phone: 206-622-0171 or 800.426.9846. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org . Sheet music, accessories, etc. In the north part of Seattle's University District, at 1006 NE 50th St, Seattle 98105 (next to the firehouse).
Fall/Winter Hours (2011-12):
Mon-Fri: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm;
Sat: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm;
Sun: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Classical KING-FM 98.1, and KING.org : Seattle's classical-music radio station. Listen at 98.1 FM; best time to tune in is whenever Sean MacLean is hosting - usually 4-10 pm weeknights. Or listen online, where there are several channels. See the website for the full daily schedule of music. Violin, viola, and chamber music are featured regularly, along with symphonic music, piano and other solo instrumental music, and a weekly opera broadcast. Seattle-area musical events and musicians are often featured on weekday evenings.
- From The Top : Radio and TV shows featuring outstanding teenaged - and younger - classical musicians playing and being interviewed by host pianist Christopher O'Riley. Hear the radio show Saturday evenings at around 7:00 in Seattle on KING-FM 98.1. Shows are archived on the site.
- Kennelly Keys Music (Seattle area stores) : Northgate store: 10720 5th Ave NE, Seattle 98125; phone 206-440-8299. Sheet music, accessories, etc.
- Little Blackbird - Sandra Layman's CD at CDBaby.com : All about Sandra's CD "Little Blackbird: Klezmer, Romanian, Greek, Turkish, and Hungarian violin music," which is available now as a download. The CDBaby page has a tracklist, audio clips, excerpts of reviews, listener comments, and info about the musicians.
- Meany Hall : On the UW campus, Seattle. Several music performance series, including chamber music, solo piano, world music, and more.
- Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) : Phone: 888-512-5278 or 513-421-1420. National organization of independent (private) music teachers. Good resources and info on their site.
- Musical Fossils - Freeing the Adult Musical Student : Interesting, thoughtful, and encouraging articles for adult music students (not just pianists).
- Part-Time Musician
- Piano-Teachers Yahoo group : Probably the largest, best, and most active piano-teachers' discussion group. Good information for any serious music instructor.
- PracticeSpot.com : Music-learning resources and teaching ideas.
- Prima Music : Mail order sheet music.
- Puget Sound violin shops : Luthier David Van Zandt's list of many of the violinmakers and repair shops in the greater Seattle area.
- Reading Music : Many wonderful links for music theory, ear training, and more, compiled by Pamela Johnson of the J.O.Y. Music Studio (in PA).
- Sandra Layman - main URL : My main URL currently points to the very site you're looking at. :-)
- Seattle Chamber Music Festival : Summer and winter festivals.
- Seattle Music Teachers Association (SMTA) : Local chapter of MTNA and WSMTA. Members are dedicated to professional development and excellence.
- Seattle Symphony : Benaroya Hall (downtown Seattle) concert schedule. Program notes for upcoming concerts and recitals. Soundbridge resources and programs for kids.
- Seattle Young Artists Music Festival : Inspirational week-long adjudications (for students in grades 5-12) and festival in late March (during UW spring break). Concerto division winners concert in May.
- Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestras
- Shar Music : Phone: 800-248-7427. Mail order: sheet music and accessories for stringed instruments; instruments, bows, cases. In Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Southwest Strings : Phone: 800-528-3430. Mail-order sheet music, accessories, stringed instruments, bows, cases. Located in Arizona.
- Strings Week and Strings Magazine : Newsletter, forums, and articles from Strings Magazine.
- Town Hall Seattle - events calendar : Concerts and lectures.
- UW School of Music : Many free and inexpensive University of Washington recitals and concerts.
- Viola List - Yahoo discussion group (see also Viola.com) : Lively and often informative e-mail list for violists and lovers of the viola.
- Viola.com : Also has the Viola List FAQ: www.viola.com/menu-lists.html
- Violinist.com : Newsletter, articles, blogs, discussions - all on the violin.
- Washington State Music Teachers Association (WSMTA) : State division of MTNA.